34. Which one of the following is not a major category of animal tissue? (Points: 1)
35. A main function of most types of epithelial tissue is (Points: 1)
36. Which one of the following types of tissues stores fat in the body? (Points: 1)
fibrous connective tissue
37. Connective tissue is different from the other major tissue types in that (Points: 1)
it is made up of cells.
the cells are sparsely scattered through a nonliving matrix.
it is not made up of cells.
it has no essential function in an animal’s body.
it is found only in humans.
38. Which of the following distinguishes cardiac muscle from both smooth and skeletal muscle? (Points: 1)
Its cells contract.
Its cells are striped.
It generally cannot be contracted at will.
It generally can be contracted at will.
Its cells are branched.
39. The main function of muscle tissue is (Points: 1)
40. Fingernails are a component of the __________ system. (Points: 1)
41. Which of the following imaging techniques makes it possible to see which areas of the brain are active during particular types of mental activity? (Points: 1)
magnetic resonance imaging
42. Which one of the following is most closely associated with the digestive, respiratory, and excretory systems? (Points: 1)
the skeletal system
the circulatory system
the reproductive system
the muscular system
All of the choices are equally associated with these three systems.
43. Which one of the following best represents an adaptation to increase the surface-to-volume ratio? (Points: 1)
the long bones of a giraffe
the smooth skin of an earthworm
the multilobed sacs in the lungs
the striations of skeletal muscle
the smooth muscle inside the intestine
44. In complex animals, which of the following organ systems would you not expect to have a large epithelial surface area? (Points: 1)
45. Homeostasis (Points: 1)
is the maintenance of a constant internal state.
only comes into play when you are ill.
is a pathological condition.
is the maintenance of a dynamic equilibrium.
is the way the internal environment influences the external environment.
46. Which level of ecologic organization incorporates abiotic factors? (Points: 1)
47. While on a walk through a forest you notice birds on trees, earthworms in the soil, and fungi on the bark of trees. Based on this you can conclude that each of these organisms occupies a different (Points: 1)
48. The sum of all Earth’s ecosystems is called the (Points: 1)
49. Rachel Carson’s book Silent Spring deals with the (Points: 1)
1985 baseball strike.
environmental effects of pesticides.
effects of lynx predation on snow hare populations.
fate of tropical rain forests.
50. In many dense forests, plants living near the ground level engage in intense competition for (Points: 1)
None of the choices are correct.
51. The greatest annual input and least seasonal variation in solar radiation occurs in the (Points: 1)
52. If you travel from west to east through Ecuador, you will pass through tundra, taiga, temperate forest, and tropical forest. Which of the following climatic factors remains constant on this trip? (Points: 1)
53. A sperm whale in the middle of the Atlantic Ocea